When a user visits the server with a browser, he/she can use Windows account credentials to log in.
Sending data from ManicTime to ManicTime Server
Deploy ManicTime via Group policy
The easiest way to configure and install the client is via Group policy. You can read more about it here. If you deploy it via Group policy, ManicTime is installed and configured to send data to the server automatically.
Creating connection to the server manually
Open ManicTime, go to Tools -> Server manager -> New connection. Enter the server url.
If you are logged into a domain, you can just use Current user when connecting to ManicTime Server.
If you are at home, accessing a server at work, then choose Following user and enter your work Windows credentials.
Creating additional Windows users
There are cases when you need to create Windows users, which ManicTime Server can then use:
- If users and server are not part of the same domain
In this case, server will not be able to authenticate users which are coming from unknown machines. If for example you have 5 users, which are connecting to ManicTime Server, you need to create local users on the machine where ManicTime Server is running for each one.
- If you want to anonymize the data
Sometimes you only care about machine usage and don't want to know which user the data belongs to. In this case, you would create one user, which all clients would use to send the data to the server.
How to create Windows user
- Go to Computer management (right click start menu, Computer management)
- Navigate to Local users and groups, Users.
- Right click on Users and choose New user
Set user properties
Once you are done, right click on created user and choose Properties.
On tab Member of, remove the user from all groups.
How to use the user in ManicTime
- Open ManicTime and go to Server manager, Add Server
- Set Url, then choose Following user.
- Set username and password, under username you must enter domain name, so DOMAIN\username
- Test connection. If you get Unauthorized message, check username and password. If you get any other message, chances are this machine can't see the server. Open a browser and navigate to the server to check if it is visible.
How to deploy with Following user
This is only useful if you want to anonymize the data, so that all clients will send the data under the same user. When you create a deployment file on ManicTime Server, choose Following user under Data is sent as.